« Home | I can't think of one » | The Jungle Cruise Ride » | Three Guitars and a Tractor » | Why I love our company » | Latest Photos » | Funniest Things I've Seen In A While » | RIP Wayne Allwine » | Ok, non soapbox stuff » | Narrowly avoided death this weekend! » | Charlie's First T-Ball Game » 

Sunday, August 16, 2009 

Generations


This is a composite picture I've been meaning to do for years.

Dad was a prison guard on Alcatraz in his younger days. The photo above is him in the guard house in the kitchen on Alcatraz. It's been published in several books about Alcatraz, and I'm lucky enough to have an original copy of it.

Several years ago, after Dad's passing, Kim and I went to San Francisco on vacation. We got a tour of Alcatraz, and I talked to the park rangers there. I told them I was a guard's son, and that I would love to recreate a photo of him. They had one of the books there in the library, and I showed them the photo. They were nice enough to open up the kitchen area (which is closed to visitors), and let me go in there to take the photo. They then asked if there were any other areas I would like to see. I really got the royal treatment.

It's amazing how little that area has changed. Except for the addition of an exit sign, and moving some file cabinets out of the room, 40+ years hasn't changed it much. And I'm amazed how accurately we recreated the shot.

Today would be Dad's 81st birthday. My son Charlie told me that he wanted to put on his jetpack and fly up into the clouds so he could sing his Grandpa Charlie Happy Birthday.

Me too.

How very cool that your father worked at Alcatraz, and that you got to retake the photo. My wife and I served some time there last summer, very neat!

Over a month with no post? I know you have other things to say.

Post a Comment