« Home | Before and After » | What It Is, What It Was, What It Shall Be! » | Charlie's Favorite Book » | Uhh, Did Anyone Else Think About This » | We've Joined The Revolution » | Yup, He's Two! » | Another Trip to the Photographer » | Here that flittering noise? That's KC Tax dollars... » | Airtran - - - You've Got To Be Kidding » | A Good Time Was Had By All » 

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 

Have A Nice Day!


Have A Nice Day! You hear it daily. I heard it twice going through McDonald’s drive-thru this morning. Then once at lunch, and once again in line at Target: “Have A Nice Day”

Have A Nice Day! Seems more like a command, doesn’t it. “Have a nice day”. Might as well say, “Despite anything else you want, I am ordering you to have a nice day”. To paraphrase George Carlin, maybe I don’t want to have a nice day. Maybe I’ve had 162 nice days in a row. Maybe I’m ready for a crappy day.

Wouldn’t it be more appropriate for the drive thru person to say, “I hope you have a nice day”. No command. No forcing me to do anything. Just a friendly explanation of their wish for my happiness. That would be better. They can hope I have a nice day, but if I have a crappy day, their fine with that, too.

And then, there’s “You have a good one!”. One what? Day? Life? Cold Beer? Or, is it an observation on their part. “You have a good one!” Often my answer is, “Yes, I do. Thanks for noticing”.

That seems to pale in comparison to commanding the Almighty to send blessings upon a sneezer. Can I get a "May", people?

Post a Comment