« Home | Happy "Gotcha Day", Charlie » | Too Much Commentary, Not Enough Cute! » | Congratulations, Vika! » | And now with traffic, Here's Allie the Fraudster » | Here They Go Again! » | Have A Nice Day! » | Before and After » | What It Is, What It Was, What It Shall Be! » | Charlie's Favorite Book » | Uhh, Did Anyone Else Think About This » 

Friday, August 04, 2006 

Missouri = Misery

I still have not gotten my income tax refund from the State of Missouri. Even though I filed in late February. Why? Many reasons.

They had to wait until after June to process our tax return because we were receiving an adoption tax credit. We can receive up to $10,000.00 in tax credits for the adoption. Obviously, you only get back your tax liability for the year, and not the whole $10k, but it was still going to be a chunk of change. You can carry over the remaining portion of the credit for up to 5 years.

But, Missouri only funds 2 Million for adoption tax credits (will someone explain to me how you "fund" a tax credit? How do you fund receiving less money? Seems like you just adjust your budget down. You don't pay for tax credits.) So, we had to wait until they can total all the credits requested. Turns out, there were more requested then funded, so we end up only getting something like 44% of the tax credit we would receive this year. That sucks.

So, finally, on July 20, the state sends out my check. At least, that's what the say. I've not received a check. I got the letter explaining they adjusted my return for the new amount, but no check. And guess what? They won't reissue a new check until the first one has been missing for 30 days.

Here's hoping this money comes soon. Disneyworld may be a bit tight if we don't get this tax return in a timely manner.

I know how you feel. My trip to CA/HI is going to be really tight. It's kind of depressing actually.

Post a Comment