« Home | And a few photos from our friends camera! » | More Walt Disney World Photos » | Back From Disney! » | When you mess with fire, you'll get burned. » | Almost There! » | Happy Birthday Wishes » | I don't think I like this! » | Charlie Meets "The Mouse" » | Gabriel Is Moving To Second Chair! » | The Amazing Things a 2 Year Old Can Discover » 

Thursday, September 21, 2006 

Why?

In a classic example of symbolism over substance, Central Missouri State University is now known as University of Central Missouri. The explanation, from President Aaron Podolefsky:

"We aspire to become a nationally recognized, comprehensive university that delivers a world-class university education. The name change provides a crucial ingredient in fulfilling this new vision by symbolically representing our emergence as a national-level comprehensive university."

No, let's not improve the quality of our educational product, no, let's not increase the level of expectations in order to graduate smarter students, no, let's not work harder at doing what we are supposed to do.

No, in order to be nationally recognized, let's just change our name. That should about do it. It was the only thing holding us back. Phew, glad we got that done.

Don't get me wrong. CMSU . . . or I guess now UCM (yuck), gave me a decent education. But, it holds no near or dear place in my heart. It's not the kind of college that creates the intense loyalty or fierce competition that a KU, MU or K-State does. You never hear about it on the news (despite it being less than an hour from KC). And a name change isn't going to help that.

I can understand when my other college, School of the Ozarks, changed it's name years ago to College of the Ozarks. That more identified the type of institution. School just didn't say "higher education" like College does. I don't think "C of O" rolls off the tongue like "S of O" did, but I've accepted it.

However, rearranging the words, and dropping "State" doesn't mean much. It's still the same college, the same education, the same professors, the same curriculum. Nothing has changed. If you want to become a "nationally recognized, comprehensive university", try doing something to earn that distinction.

Crap! Now, I have to go through and change the school name on my resume'.

I say don't change your resume. Stick it to the college and show prospective employers that you don't agree with the retarded decisions of an addled administration. You roll old skool!

The CMSU community does create nostalgia for some. Saying that it doesn't only relates to your personal experience. I fondly remember my days at CMSU and can describe the tastes and smells of football tailgating, pine street, greek week, homecoming, and sitting on the grass in the quad in ways very similar to my friends who graduated from more "prestigious" university's like Mizzou. Mostly I'm just sad that the letters on my sweatshirts represent a thing of the past, guess I'll have to pick up a new one when I go back for homecoming this year.

I have quite a bit of "nostalgia" for my days at CMSU. Pine Street, my day's in Houts/HellHole, the quad, the union all are great memories. I even have an alumni Mule on my cube at work. That's not my point.

CMSU just doesn't generate the fierce loyalty or rivalry that other schools in the area do. CMSU is kind of the forgotten university. Everyone talks about the other 3, but CMSU is left out. That's my point. Changing the name won't change that, and suddenly create an MU/UCM rivalry, or cause Len Dawson to talk about the upcoming UCM football matchup!

Nostalgia and public recognition are two different things.

"...who graduated from more 'prestigious' university's..."

well, if not more prestigious, at least better at teaching grammar and proper apostrophe usage.

Ouch. c ritt 1 - anonymous 0

Post a Comment