« Home | Updates » | Oh Crap! What did we just do? » | Finally » | Thumpin! » | Congratulations! » | New Music Wednesday » | Charlie Update » | You've Got To Be Kidding! » | Successories - ish » | Elvis introduces his new band! » 

Monday, November 20, 2006 

RIP, old friend


With a heavy heart, I must communicate the passing of a dear member of our family. Yesterday, at approximately 11:30 a.m., out Toshiba SD-400 TIVO departed this earth.

We had spent many great hours together. We experienced much laughter, many tears, and some anger. I knew that when I came home, TIVO would be there, ready to show me multiple episodes of NYPD Blue, or perhaps the latest Boston Legal, or 50 episodes of Paula Dean. We'd sit together, and just laugh and laugh and laugh. Then, at night, when the family was asleep, TIVO would still be there, finding entertainment choices for the entire family. Teletubbies for my son, Studio 60 for me, and every cooking show ever produced for my wife.

But, in the end, it was just too much for TIVO's hard drive to keep up with. The very end came quickly, with a few video glitches, and then, rebooting. Finally, yesterday, TIVO just couldn't reboot, and I knew it was time. I gently pulled her out of the tv cabinet, thanked her for her hard work, and pulled the plug.

TIVO SD-400 will be survived by TCD649080, a new TIVO box, with 80 hour hard drive and dual tuners, so we can record two shows at once. Until it arrives, we have to watch regular broadcast TV, which should not be inflicted on someone so soon after a loss.

RIP my old friend.

You know you can get the same DVR (Divo as we call it) with Comcast? It's only $10 a month and you automatically get updated as the technology gets better.
They even offer the dual recording.

I don't have Comcast available in KC. And the Time Warner DVR isn't as cool.

Plus, with the fees, it comes to about $9.00 a month for service, with the free box.

Lastly, since I own stock in TIVO, I have to support the home team

Well, from a cost analysis standpoint, which is cheaper in the long run, the ongoing price of a "DiVo" or the one time price of a "TiVo"? I've actually considered picking one up so I can actually see what some of these shows are people keep talking about.

Actually, now that I think of it, we don't have Comcast anymore either. We have a dish of some sort. Either way, any major cable or satellite provider will have their version.

Doesn't Tivo have an initial cost to the whole unit and then you pay the fee? Plus once it breaks or new technology comes out, you have to buy a new one.
With "Divo" you don't actually own the unit, but it's always current and is covered if something breaks. I think Divo is cheaper.

You have to get it though Pete, it'll change your life. It'll change your whole TV watching experience.

And if you don't want the dual tuner, the box is free from TIVO with a contract for service. Really a good deal

Because of the simultaneous post, I want to answer Mo's question. Tivo will give you their 80 hour box free, with a signed contract for their service. If you pay in advance for the 3 year service, you get it at the 2 year price. Plus, they extend the parts warranty on the unit through the contract time.

Tivo is becoming much more than just a DVR. We can access pictures on our Yahoo pictures account, videos on our computer, movie times, traffic, etc. Their always upgrading their networking capabilities, so it's always growing. Plus, I can copy programs from the TIVO onto my computer harddrive, for viewing later. I can also program the TIVO over the internet, if needed, so I don't miss anything.

Plus, TIVO's picks are great. I've found several shows through the TIVO suggestions that I would never have watched.

Yes, Pete. Get something. Join the Tivolution! If you do get a TIVO, let me know beforehand, because I can refer you and get something free. I don't know what, but it's something. And, I'll share.

Post a Comment