« Home | Christmas, 2007 » | Toto, I have a feeling were not in Kansas City any... » | Merry Christmas from The Tennison Family » | A Much Needed Update » | 7 days without sweets makes 1 weak! » | Halloween 2007 » | Welcome: Portraits of America » | 5 Things » | New Charlie Photos » | Crap that has been on my mind. » 

Thursday, December 27, 2007 

Cross U

A couple of times per year, the Walt Disney World resort gets extremely busy. Sure, it's busy every day, with lines for rides, churros and Dole Whips (ummmmmmmm). But, several times a year, it's crazy busy. On those anticipated days, the upper managements asks the "backstage" troupes to help out. We call them "Cross U's" (Cross Utilizations). What they often mean is taking 4-8 hours out of our day and working on a food cart, quick service restaurant, or other task that takes little to no training for us salaried people to do.

Yesterday, I went to my first Cross U (the last time we had one in July, I had flown back to KC and couldn't take part). At first, I was assigned to work in the toll plaza of the Magic Kingdom, taking money from guests for parking. I had to decline that job, as I'm not allowed to handle money in my position.

So, I was assigned as a crossing guard in the Ticket and Transportation Center. The trams that bring the guests in from the parking lots cross under a bridge, and then into the unloading area. Guests can also walk and cross the street where the trams drive, so it was my job to stop the guests whenever the trams come.

I Had A Blast! I got to interact with guests starting their day. I got to talk to kids, ask them if they were going to see Mickey Mouse, and reminded them to put a good word in for me with the "boss". I talked to the grown-ups, who were all very nice. I was even asked if my cheeks get tired smiling so much. People complained about the cool temperatures that morning, and weren't quite sure if I was kidding when I said that Disney had turned on the outdoor air conditioning so it wouldn't get too hot.

I even saw a guest wearing a t-shirt from CMSU. We talked for a moment and figured out that we went there at the same time. How about that!?!?

Working backstage, I don't get a lot of chances to "make magic". My job deals with a lot of problem people. So, a day like yesterday goes a long way toward recharging the old pixie dust.

It sounds like a wonderful experience and I hope others appreciated you being there. I know you must still be pinching yourself and it's great that variety keeps getting thrown in every once in awhile.

I've found myself talking about you and Kim to my family often over the holidays.

We are happy to know how you are enjoying your job, and you manage to help the vistors have a pleasent experience to take home with them. MississippiKin

Don't you think it's time for a new post?

Ok, so "the dog ate" your last post. Does that mean that we don't get new Randman updates? Like the early days of music videos, "I want my Randman post".

Post a Comment