« Home | And, a week of lasts » | A week of firsts! » | Wow, what a range of facial expressions on James Bond » | Las Vegas Bound » | All Hail the Hail » | What can make Charlie smile? » | Charlie Charlie Charlie! » | Simpson's Live Action » | Various Things » | Dancing With The Tsars » 

Sunday, March 26, 2006 

The Week In Review

I spent last week in Las Vegas, attending an Advanced Interview/Interrogation school. For those who don't know, that is my speciality at work, conducting interviews of persons suspected of stealing from the company, and obtaining a voluntary confession and written statement. It's something I enjoy doing, and have had quite a bit of success at. And no, it does not involve bright lights, backhands across the mouth, bamboo shoots under fingernails, or any type of pain or humiliation.

What it does involve is a knowledge of psychology, kinesics, and communication techniques, along with an ability to develop rapport, rationalization and giving a person a way to safe face. Often, after an interview, I have had the suspect, who has just admitted to a felony, shake my hand and thank me.

Anyway, I spent the week studying under Don Rabon, an instructor from North Carolina, who is very knowledgeable. While I don't buy into all of his theories, I learned quite a bit from him during our daytime sessions.

But then, night time came. Derek, my co-worker who also took part in the course, and I enjoyed Las Vegas. We gambled, checked out the sights, drank a few beers, and generally walked our legs off. I ended up losing only about $40.00 over the entire week, thanks to a hot streak on the roulette table on our last day there.

Highlights of the week?

**Riding the X-Scream at the Stratosphere, as well as the Big Shot.


**Seeing Joe Montana and his wife walking across one of the walkways,
and then seeing Ted, the cooking guy from Queer Eye.
**Hitting a 6 out of 8 Keno Pick at the Rio

**Watching the Fremont Street Experience.

and the beautiful Bellagio Fountains, which never fail to impress.


Low point of the week? Getting out of the taxi at the Stratosphere, and Derek realizing that his digital camera had fallen out of his pocket in the cab. The driver gave a bogus receipt that didn't have his cab company name on it, so we couldn't call them. We tried several companies, but to no avail. We lated asked the Flamingo hotel security to check on their video to see if they could find the cab company we got into. They did a facial recognition scan of us,

and than ran video IQ on us, and found out which cab company, and which cab number we got into. But, of course, they claim it was never turned in, and so, Derek was out a digital camera. Thus, the reason that these photos are "stock" photos.

Overall, a good week. But, the best part was coming home on Friday to my wife and son. I missed them both a lot while I was gone.