« Home | California, Here I Come, Part Duex » | Yuck » | One of the funniest ad campaigns I've ever seen » | A Waste of Time, but Entertaining » | It's Online » | Back from San Fran » | Open Up That Golden Gate . . . » | A Week of "Rosebuds" » | Back to Mr. Mom status » | A Taste of Real Improv » 

Saturday, May 20, 2006 

A 23 Year Record Broken


Yesterday, at about 11:40 a.m., I got hit with a round of intense vertigo. The entire world was spinning, and slightly sloped down to the right. I was somehow able to drive myself to the doctor's office (an accomplishment that I should not have undertaken, and one if I try again, my wife and in-laws have promised to whomp me).

I sat out in the parking lot for about 20 minutes, laying down in the car, hoping for the spinning to stop. It didn't. So, I finally decided to try to walk into the doctors office. BIG MISTAKE. Needless to say, the nausea caught up with me, and I began quickly regretting the Enormous Omlette Sandwhich I had for breakfast.

After a few rounds, I made it inside, and the nurses came and got me, took me into a room, where I layed on a bed for about 30 minutes, sweating and shivering. It was lunch time, and the doctors were out. Thanksfully, Dr. Kanne came back and treated me. I got a shot of stuff to stop the nausea (although I'm quite sure it was just gasoline they injected in my butt. That stuff hurt). Then, some valium, which is apparently the best stuff to stop the inner ear nerves from firing wrong information to the brain.

My darling wife came and picked me up, and took me home. But, on the way out of the room, while I was in a wheelchair, it hit again, and I think my stomach travelled back in time to find things to throw up, because I was sure everything was gone on the first round.

At home, I layed down, went to sleep, and woke up a few hours later, stoned out of my gord, but no dizziness.

Unfortunately, I had to call off my performance at Comedycity last night. I felt really bad about doing that, but there was just no way I could do anything. I should make it tonight, though.

As for the 23 year record I mentioned . . . I had not thrown up in 23 years. The last time was my freshman year of college, when I drank an entire pint of Southern Comfort in less than an hour with my friend Mike Ploof. I had not thrown up since. But, alas, yesterday, my streak was broken. All records must fall.

Today, I'm better. Still a bit of a valium hangover, and sore stomach muscles, but I'll live.

I'm with you - I haven't upchucked in about 22 years (I think I was around 8-10 the last time, and I'm 30 now)

That's so weird. On Tuesday around 3pm, I was hit with vertigo, including being clammy, sweaty and nauseous. Luckily I didn't have to drive (took the El), but that was not a fun train ride. I never threw up (except when I made myself once hoping I'd feel better). It was tough to even just lay down, because the room would spin. Sleeping was the only time I didn't have vertigo. When I was still dizzy in the morning, I stayed home from work and Corey took me to the Dr. that evening. The Dr. simply said I had Vertigo, it hits people for different reasons and sort of has a mind of it's own, leaving when it wants to. He gave me the pill Meclazine, but it only gradually helped. I had vertigo until Saturday night - literally over 100 hours straight. It was MISERABLE. I couldn't do anything but lay there or sleep.
It's now 99% gone. I started feeling a little bit of sinus pressure on Friday and once in a while it hits me still, but the difference is night and day!

Post a Comment