« Home | Mr. Rogers goes to Congress. » | Look, here's the dog that tried to bite me. Here's... » | A 23 Year Record Broken » | California, Here I Come, Part Duex » | Yuck » | One of the funniest ad campaigns I've ever seen » | A Waste of Time, but Entertaining » | It's Online » | Back from San Fran » | Open Up That Golden Gate . . . » 

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 

All Hail The MacGuffin


While I was on the road last week, I actually got to see a movie. Having a 2 year old at home really cuts into our movie watching time, as we have only seen one in the past year.

I went to see Mission Impossible III. Yes, I'm sick of Tom Cruise, yes, he's an idiot who has no grasp on real life, but I've enjoyed the other movies, and heard great reviews. Plus, I've enjoyed Alias, and MI:III was written and directed by J.J. Abrams, the creator of Alias.

When the movie ended, I was tickled, in a fan boy type of way. The entire film was about a MacGuffin, the rabbit's foot. So much so that they included a line of dialog at the end where the purposely don't say what the rabbit's foot is. They left it a MacGuffin.

I would hope that this was a tribute to Hitchcock's use of the MacGuffin in so many of his films. I enjoyed the movie, but particulary enjoyed this aspect of it.