« Home | You're On Notice! » | In case you didn't know, Sprint Sucks! » | Why? » | And a few photos from our friends camera! » | More Walt Disney World Photos » | Back From Disney! » | When you mess with fire, you'll get burned. » | Almost There! » | Happy Birthday Wishes » | I don't think I like this! » 

Friday, October 06, 2006 

In Case You Didn't Know, Sears Sucks!


Ok, not that bad. But, there was some major irritation involved. I bought a new lawn mower. My old Montgomery Ward one has given up the ghost. So, I bought a nice one at Sears, and got a good deal. I picked it up, and noticed that one of the sides of the box had been opened. I asked the guy why it was open, and he said that the boxes aren't stapled well, and that they tape them to keep them closed. Uhh, ok, I'll buy that. We unpacked the mower, so that it would fit in my car, and I checked, and it seemed all the parts were there. So, home I went.

Jump forward 3 days. I'm finally ready to give this new bad boy a few laps around the track. I start doing the "simple setup" and notice that I have to install the spring loaded door over the side discharge hole. Weird. And then, I notice. There are no nuts for the bolts that hold the door in place. Even more so, there is absolutely nothing in the instructions about having to install this door. All pictures show it already in place. So, my original fear is confirmed. Someone had opened the box, uninstalled the door, and taken the nuts. So, it's off to Sears.

I bought the mower on-line (to get my Upromise dollars), and picked it up at Antioch, as they were the only store to have it in stock. But, the 64th street store is closer to my house, so I drove there. After a minute, I found a pleasant young man in the mower department, and told him the problem. He said he would get his manager to help me. After about 5 minutes, he comes back with two plain nuts from a package off the shelf, saying that's what his manager said to do. I told him there is no way that will work, as they will vibrate loose. I asked to see the manager.

We find the manager, and he asks what the problem is. I tell him that it's obvious someone had opened my box, disassembled the door, and taken the nuts, and that normal nuts won't work. He says "What do you need, some kind of lock washer?" I tell him that what I need is the original parts that came with the mower. He then tells me that I can order the parts from the 1-800 number. Now, I'm getting annoyed. I tell him that I would like to mow my yard sometime in the next week or two, so that isn't an option. Then, he says, "Well, your complaint is with the Antioch Store, not this one". Ok, retail boy, that does it. "My complaint is with Sears, which it says on your nametag you work for. I didn't buy some clearance, used item. I bought new in box, and that's not what I got." So, finally, he starts tucking his tail between his legs, and takes me over to the mowers, removes the nuts off a similar mower, and gives them to me.

Why did I have to get pissy with this guy? He should have done the right thing up front. What's up with retail lately?

We basically had the same problem with a bedroom set we bought online at Sears.
We couldn't pick it up at a local Sears because it was at their online store only. When it arrived, 2 of the 3 items had missing parts or was the wrong color. (granted we thought it would come assembled, but whatever) They simply shipped us back the one that was the wrong color, but the one with missing parts was a hassle. You have to go through a whole different company to get those and it took forever and was a huge mess.
I don't have the energy to go into the whole story, but I feel for you man.

I agree completely. Sears DOES suck.

In my opinion, their service SUCKS, and their customer service representatives are absolutely useless. I won't ever purchase another appliance from Sears and would recommend to anyone considering making a major appliance purchase to choose a business other than Sears. Sure, they're quick enough to take your money when you're purchasing something but when you have problems with the item, they don't want to be bothered. An entire week has gone by and I'm STILL waiting to have my refrigerator repaired! Their service sucks, Sucks, SUCKS!!! BUYERS BEWARE!!!

Post a Comment