« Home | Now This Is An Office! » | In Case You Didn't Know, Sears Sucks! » | You're On Notice! » | In case you didn't know, Sprint Sucks! » | Why? » | And a few photos from our friends camera! » | More Walt Disney World Photos » | Back From Disney! » | When you mess with fire, you'll get burned. » | Almost There! » 

Monday, October 09, 2006 

What Have I Gotten Myself Into?

We're starting a new capital campaign at my church to build a new worship facility. We've seriously outgrown our 400 seat auditorium, meaning that our pastor is doing 6 services a weekend.

For the campaign, I was asked to write a sketch for the big kick off dinner, where some 1500 church members will attend to celebrate our committments to build the new worship area. So, I'm thinking of writing a broadway type musical sketch, about 15 minutes long. I've done a musical before in Monkeys with Handgrenades (Silence of the Lambs - The Musical). I'm a bit nervous, because I've only got a month to write it.

Then, on Sunday, our pastor talked about the kick off dinner, and made a point to mention, "We'll even be having a comedy sketch that night". Oh, great. Announce it to the whole world. Then I see the video they produced for the campagin, and he mentions it in the video, which will be going out to all members of the church. I felt like Matt and Danny on Studio 60 during the press conference (for those of you who are Studio 60 fans).

Tonight, I met with 3 other people to start planning the musical. Normally, I only like writing with a few people (Pete, Nick, Linda), and don't like writing with non-improv people. They just don't understand funny, and I hate having to dismiss an idea they think is funny, but isn't. But, I was truly amazed how the group really clicked, and we thought up a great basic premise for the musical. There were several times where we were all thinking the exact same thing at the same minute.

So, maybe this thing will work. I may have to beg for some help from my MWHG writing friends, but I'm hopeful it will get done. And then, after this is finished, it's back to working on Exorcist-The Musical with Pete.

That's "The Exorcist: A Rock Opera" mister. If you need any help with music or lyrics, just let me know. I'd be glad to help.

Post a Comment