« Home | Funniest Line of the Weekend » | Breaking News » | Thank You, Paul Harvey » | Merry Christmas To All » | He Said What? » | Happy Birthday, Boss! » | Ok, Trish, Some Photos » | I can't believe it's been a year » | Not Much New To Report » | A Sick Household » 

Sunday, January 11, 2009 

Several Thoughts

As I sit here on Sunday Night, not yet sleepy enough for bed, but tired all the same, some thoughts went through my mind that I thought I would post. Not because they are terribly fascinating or insightful, but because I haven't posted for a while, and felt the need.

1. Today, I witnessed my pastor, Barry Rice, along with a friend of his (whose name escapes me, shame on me) performing "Feats of Strength". Our pastor is a former football player, world class power lifter, and is built like it. He does the "Feats of Strength" all over, and did them today for our service. Wow! If you haven't seen someone tear phone books, bend steel bars, break bricks, tear a license plate in half, and crush full cans of soda pop, it's something to see. They got the crowd going, and really made an impression. And none of this was fake. These guys really do this stuff. Amazing. God is good!

2. I had a rather startling revelation today. My son is no longer a baby. He rode his bicycle by himself today. Sure, he still has training wheels, and occasionally needed a push start, but to see him tooling around our cul-de-sac on his bike made me both very proud and a bit sad. He's growing up. It's true what they say, it goes by fast. It seems like just recently I watched him pull himself up, and take his first steps. Now he's on a bike. And I was very proud when he had a small crash. He fell off, and I was sure he had probably skinned himself up or something. He didn't cry, or fuss. He climbed right back on the bike, and took off. Even our neighbor was impressed. That's my boy.

3. If you have your choice between the hard way of doing something or the less moral easy way, take the hard way. Every day, I talk to people who got themselves into some type of trouble, and they make the wrong choice, and it cost them so much more.

4. Florida in winter rocks. 72 today, beautiful skies, and tonight, the biggest, brightest, most beautiful moon lit up the sky.

5. Today was the Walt Disney World marathon. We had a 5k on Friday, a 1/2 marathon (The Donald) on Saturday, and a full marathon (the Mickey) today. If you run the 1/2 and the full, it's called "The Goofy". It was funny walking through Epcot tonight, and seeing people wearing the medals they received for running, and watching them walking through the park. More than a few had a very stiff, sore gait. Epcot is no small park, and after running 26.2 miles, I'm sure it takes a lot to walk around the world showcase. Heck, I didn't run anywhere today, and I'm pooped!

6. I miss all my friends back in KC. I'm very jealous of how well you guys have the improv scene working. I'm going to have to get going on my plan to start a group down here.

It's good to hear from you. Thanks for all the thoughts. I've been quite "pondering" myself lately. A few things:

- It's hard to believe Charlie is riding a bike even though I just saw him in August. Time goes by so fast.
- My KC running partner, Michelle, ran the Goofy. She finished all of the half and had to have medical attention at mile 19 during the full. She said she just go too hot. Personally, I can't imagine spending my time at DisneyWorld running a marathon - regardless of how much I love to run - but I am very proud of her.
- Steve and I were in KC this weekend and saw two shows. The first was The Trip Fives and the second was the first round of Thunderdome. It's shocking, in a good way, at how much the improv community has grown. As much as I hate not being a part of it, it is good to see all the young blood. We got to hang out with Trish and others at McCoy's and it felt like visiting "home." Maybe we can all end up in KC at the same time sometime.

We miss you guys.

We enjoy you sharing your thoughts and keeping us updated on Charlie growing up. We think that Mississippi’s winters not half bad. We do get a little more of a variety of temps than you have there in Florida. MississippiKin

Yay! Something other than a tweet!

Post a Comment