« Home | KC Bound » | A Couple of Reviews » | Yet another cool moment living in Florida » | I am now a published author. » | Apparently, I'm no longer in my 20's » | Photo Update - Winter in Florida » | What I Miss About Kansas City » | Charlie meets Handy Manny » | Oye, my stomach. » | Something to think about this political season » 

Monday, April 14, 2008 

A True Floridian

After our visit back to KC this past weekend (which was a lot of fun!), it really dawned on me . . . KC is no longer home. It didn't have the same feel to it, I didn't have any nostalgia or sadness. It was just like visiting somewhere I had been before. It's really hard to describe, but I didn't feel at home.

Sure, eating some Minsky's Pizza was great. Enjoying some Ghengis Khan Mongolian Grill was wonderful. Seeing Pete, Marion, Anissa, Pearl, Trish, Dennis, Nikki, Jr., Guy and everyone else was fun, and I greatly miss all of them, but I felt like an
outsider. It just wasn't like it was.

Even driving by our old house, and by the house we built but never moved into, didn't have any tug on me. They were just places.

(And to the couple that bought our house, TAKE DOWN THE @#$%&*# CHRISTMAS LIGHTS. IT'S $#@$*%# APRIL!

Oh, well, so be it. I'm a Floridian. Says so on my driver license, my voter registration, and my income tax.

Glad you had a good trip to KC and got to go eat at the places that you always enjoyed. We know the feeling of going back to where we used to live also. Sometimes we had gotten disappointed to the way our things were not taken care of as well as they should have been like some people had promised they would. We hope all of you will have a good life there and full of memories there in FL. MississippiKin

About the Christmas lights on your old house...there may be health conserns for them so much that the Christmas lights would be the the least for them to worry with.
MississippiKin

:(

And here I thought we had a great deal of fun and camaraderie Saturday night.

I understand how you feel. I've had a few trips back to KC and it really doesn't feel the same. We truly love our small town-close to the city life where it's completly dark if the moon isn't out and where my birdseed gets eaten in one day. I can see all the stars.

Last weekend I performed at a church near Independence and even though I was in the country the glow of the city was very visible. And the traffic was awful. I realized how peaceful it is to not hear an accident report every 10 minutes on the radio.

I still really, really miss my friends and can't fathom ever having a greater bunch of people to hang out with or confide in, but I guess we really do move on.

Post a Comment