« Home | Sometimes I forget what a unique place I work! » | A very enjoyable evening! » | Various Goings On » | Family Portrait Time » | A Proud 4 Year Old » | 16 Years Together » | A Weekend Trip to Vero Beach » | The world just got a little less funny » | I don't think laughter was what he was going for » | A good week! » 

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 

999 Happy Haunts, but always room for 1000. Any volunteers?

This morning started early, but fantastic. My team took a tour of the Haunted Mansion at the Magic Kingdom, before it opened. We got to walk the entire attraction with the work lights on, seeing how the effects work, the technology behind the magic, and a lot of history of this fantastic ride. Our tour guide, Ginger, has been at the Haunted Mansion for many years, and had a lot of fun stories, as well as a laugh that would make one of the Grim Grinning Ghosts envious.

The highlight, for me, was actually getting to go into the Haunted Mansion ballroom. This is the best part of the ride, when you get to see the ghosts coming together for their “swinging wake”. I was always fascinated how Disney was able to make the ghosts appear and disappear, and all the behind the scenes stuff. Not only did we get to see the ghosts up close and personal, we actually got to walk into the ballroom and look around. We saw the china pattern on the table, the unofficial Hidden Mickey, and even took a moment to dance in front of the organ, just like the ghosts do. This type of access is just unimaginable.

After the walking tour, we got to ride the ride. There was so much more that I see now on the ride. Things you just would never even notice. The detail is amazing, even in areas that are not visible to guests.

I won’t print out the secrets I learned, nor will I spoil anyone’s love of this ride. Let me just say that seeing this amazing attraction like this was a highlight of my short-so-far career at Disney.