« Home | Family Portrait Time » | A Proud 4 Year Old » | 16 Years Together » | A Weekend Trip to Vero Beach » | The world just got a little less funny » | I don't think laughter was what he was going for » | A good week! » | A Master of Object Work » | Two thumbs up for Big Boy Underware » | A True Floridian » 

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 

Various Goings On

Just thought I would catch everyone up on the current state of affairs in Florida. Some funny, some strange, many pointless, but all part of our lives.

HATFIELDS vs. MCCOYS version 2008

First, I am in a feud, apparently, with a neighbor. Charlie and I were going to the pool, and I decided (wrongly, I know) to walk across a neighbors yard rather than all the way around the sidewalk. As you can see, the green path goes mostly through our yard (up to the fence), and thaen just a bit into her yard. It's further on the sidewalk (the red path), so I was just trying to avoid some steps for us.


Apparently, the lady whose yard we walked through is a bit of a psycho, because she came out her backdoor screaming, cussing and insulting me for being in her yard. You would have thought I stomped her price winning roses, or peed on her peonies. I remained cool (mainly because Charlie was there), and told her I was sorry, but that all she needed to do was tell me not to cut through her yard, and I would not do it. There was no need for the insults or profanity in front of my son. That set her off worse, so we just walked away.

Talking with our neighbors, she's had run-ins with many of them. Going so far as to beating on the door of a neighbor about barking dogs during the daytime, and putting her foot in the door when our neighbor tried to shut the door due to her profanity.

So, I'm letting it go, and won't cut through her yard. But yesterday, I look out in the yard, and she has placed a "No Trespassing" sign at the intersection of our yard with hers. I just had to laugh. There are so many things I would like to do and/or say, but I won't, because I was wrong in the first place.

GE SUCKS

So, looking at our refridgerator one day, I notice that it is rusting through the front of the door. The area around the ice dispenser is rusting out completely. So, I call our warranty company, who sends out a tech. $55.00 later, he tells me my door is rusting. Gee, thanks Dr. Von Braun. The warranty company declines the claim, stating they don't cover the door. Nice.

So, I call GE to ask them. They tell me that it is a known problem, and that there was a class action lawsuit against them due to the issue. They fixed hundreds/thousands of refridgerators due to the problem. Cool.

Not so fast. The lawsuit ended in March, and they will now not fix it for free. I have to pay for the new doors. They will do the labor for free. That sucks. No amount of talking could get them off their position. So, because my fridge took longer to fail, I'm out $425.00. I guess I should count myself lucky that they are eating the labor. It still sticks in my craw.

Potty Training

Charlie is at the point in his life where he knows intellectually that he needs to use the potty. He knows that if he does, he gets candy, big boy underware, McDonalds, Chic Fil A, big boy bed, big slide, dancing, celebrations, and possibly a new Lexus. But, psychologically, he just can't do it. He tries, but nothing happens. He tries to tell us, "I did it", in hopes that he will get the promised M&M's, but he knows what he truly needs to do. I think we are all a bit frustrated. I know it will happen, but it's keeping him in the 2-3 year old class, instead of the 4 year old class he should be in. We've tried every recommendation we've gotten (toliet targets, naked time outside, candy, praise, leave diaper on a while, etc) but he's very stubborn.

Other Misc:

Work for both of us is going good.

It's hot and humid right now, with thunderstorms every afternoon. Makes mowing the Florida grass tough.

We will soon be getting Charlie a big boy bed. We found one at Ikea that he loved.

We spent Saturday at Clearwater Beach. Charlie loves the ocean. He tans so beautifully, he looks like a coppertone ad.

We miss all our friends back in KC. Reading/watching their blogs is fun, though, and helps us stay in touch.


That's about it. See ya all at Disneyworld!

It's so good to hear from you!

What the heck is outside naked time? It sounds like something I did on my own as a child, but I don't know about enforced or encouraged outside naked time. Are adults allowed to do this? If not, at what age does it become inappropriate?

Mmmmmm...Chick-fil-a...

Hey there! I always cuss out the neighbors for putting even one toe across our property line, doesnt everyone? :-) I can't believe that happened to you guys, poor Charlie!! Hysterical about the No Trespassing!! Dominic is just in the talking phase of potty training. I'm scared. We'll keep you posted! Nick has a show on Friday in the new place - we'll see how that goes............he's looking forward to thunderdome in about a month. Yea! Have a good one guys!

I LOVE outside naked time. The neighbors don't.

outside naked time was a suggestion to help toddlers realize when they started peeing. With no pants or diaper on, they would pee on their leg, and not like it. Thus, they would learn some control, and knowing when they need to go.

Charlie didn't want to go outside without pants. Freaked out.

But, we did know the exact yard for Charlie to go pee in!

I am shocked that you looked at IKEA for a bed!?!?!? The pictures are great. You are a rebel, so the run-in with the neighbor does not surprise me. I dare you to get a No Trespassing sign and put it up facing her direction right next to her sign:) Take Care, DEREK

This situation is rife with comic potential. Go grizzled prospector on it!

Post a Comment