« Home | Heading Home » | First Week At Disney » | Good Bye, Kansas City! » | Countdown to Leaving » | Unemployed » | $20.95 to feed a two year old??? » | My Last Monkeys Show Gets Great Review » | Very Very Sad » | Did You Know? » | The Sound of one hand typing. » 

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 

Week 3

As I’m typing, it’s almost midnight on a Tuesday night. I’m in Orlando, on my third week of my new career at Walt Disney World. I would say that I love it here, except for the fact that I miss my family terribly, which clouds a lot of the enjoyment I have. I talk to Kim a couple times a day, and try to make it a point to call home at 6:30 each night, as that is often when Charlie is in his high chair having dinner. That way, I can talk with him on the phone for a while.

Tonight, Kim had just come home from Target, so Charlie was running around. Kim told Charlie that Daddy was on the phone, but he didn’t come over, as he often will. So, Kim and I talked about our days, our struggles with selling the home, frustrations and fears over finding her a new job.
Then suddenly, I hear a little voice on the phone. Charlie has gone in the bedroom, climbed onto the nightstand, picked up an extension phone, and pushed the on button. I then hear a little 2 year old’s gibber gabber. It was such a sweet sound. Because of his first year of life, Charlie has some speech delays, and isn’t talking where a normal 2 ½ year old would normally. But, he tries to talk a lot. So, I’m assuming I heard about his day, his frustrations at Grandma’s house with not being able to bring his ride on car into the house, and how he hates laying down for a nap, even when it feels really good.

Then, I told Charlie I wanted kisses, and I heard him kissing the phone. I asked for a big hug, and I got the sound of him hugging the phone. It almost made me cry. Then, I heard, “Ok, Dy dy” which is his way of saying bye bye. It made the evening a bit more bearable.

These three weeks have been very interesting. Every morning, I drive to work, and drive under one of the giant entrance signs. It makes me smile a bit each day, knowing I’m going to work at Disneyworld. I wear my nametag, which shows my first name, and my hometown (proudly saying Kansas City, MO). I then have my blue ID badge, indicating that I’m a salaried cast member. A lot of the yellow badge people assume that means management, but no, it just means I don’t get overtime.

The people I’m working with couldn’t be nicer. I’ve worked with Kevin, who’s been a lot of fun to joke with. Tonight, we spent 2 hours working an investigation, and, without going into details, were very successful. Earlier in the day, I worked with Sarah, the girl who was born about 20 years too late. She truly is a child of the 60’s, in only the best ways, even though she wasn’t born until the 70’s.

My new boss has been very easy to work for. I’ve put in a lot of hours, because frankly, I’d rather be working than sitting in my apartment looking at the 4 walls. She keeps trying to get me to take some time off. I guess she’s afraid I’ll burn out. I need to let her know that once my family gets here, I’ll revert to my normal state of slacking off, asking for extra time off, and generally poor attitude.

Orlando is becoming more familiar. It’s still not home, but it’s started on that path. But, I do miss everyone in KC. I really wish I could have been part of the improv festival, and watched some of the great performances. My heart is with you guys.

I don't know if the hole your absence has created can truly be measured. Orlando is lucky.

Well said, Pete. It just wasn't the same without your and Kim's smiling faces around last weekend. I'm praying you are all together soon.

Almost 2 weeks without an update? What's up with that? What, you don't have time?

Post a Comment