« Home | Thoughts for the day » | Home for the weekend » | Stop the Screaming! » | Looking Back with Pride » | My Brush with Celebrity » | Noemi comes through again » | Disney Geek Moments » | Ok, Ok, Ok. An Update (as lame as it will be) » | Week 3 » | Heading Home » 

Friday, May 18, 2007 

A Good Birthday

So, yesterday wasn't too bad a day. I started it off by teaching a two hour class to my co-workers on interview skills. It seemed to go good.

Then, we changed out of our business casual, and into comfortable clothes, for the finance department summer bash. 500 finance people at Mickey's Retreat at Little Lake Bryan. It was a good time, with food, carnival games, and prizes. I won 4 mini golf tickets (which I ended up giving to my co-worker, Todd, for his son who turns 8 this weekend. Charlie is a bit too young for mini-golf yet).

Finally, I got tired and hot, so I headed back to the condo. I did a little laundry, talked with the complex manager about getting some repairs done, and then decided that I was not going to sit in the condo all night on my birthday. So, I decided to get in the car and start driving.

Just as I was leaving, I got a call from my new friend, Anthony. We started at Disney on the same day, and he is in the same boat I am, being away from his family, trying to sell a house and move his family up here. We usually get together once every couple of weeks to blow off some steam and have fun. It's nice to have someone who knows what you are going through. Anyway, Anthony was at the Magic Kingdom for work, and wondered if I wanted to join him that evening for dinner, and then maybe watch the parade and fireworks. It sounded good, so I drove over to the Magic Kingdom.

We met up, and rode several rides and saw some shows. We ate a quick meal, and then enjoyed the fireworks and parade. We also grabbed a Dole Whip (the perfect combination of ice cream and pineapple juice). It was nice talking to him. He agreed with me that right now, with both our wives at home, his wife soon quitting her job and Kim having already done so, and facing a long stretch to sell the house, that things just weren't in our control. We're both just tired, and realize that it could be 6 months or more before we feel our lives are back to normal.

After leaving the park (and sitting next to a girl on the cast member bus who portrayed "Chip" in the parade), I started driving home and called Kim. Then, my sister Donna called and wished me a happy birthday. It was nice talking with her.

Finally, I got back to the condo, and sacked out.

Sure, it wasn't the best birthday I've had, as my wife and son weren't there. I really could have used a birthday kiss from my wife, and a big hug and kiss from Charlie. But, it didn't suck quite as bad as I anticipated it would.

Happy birthday.

The word verification to post this is "priwa", which I checked on, and is Old English for "Sheeesh he is old".

Happy Birthday ya big Mouseketeer! It sounds like you and Anthony had a delightful, romantic evening.

First of all, happy birthday!!!!

Secondly, Steve and I can relate to that whole feeling like almost everything is out of your control and the only thing you can do is wait it out and pray for sanity. Every month we keep saying next month things will settle into a routine, and we're still not there. But, I DO know the day is coming - for us, for you and for Anthony.

Post a Comment