« Home | Looking Back with Pride » | My Brush with Celebrity » | Noemi comes through again » | Disney Geek Moments » | Ok, Ok, Ok. An Update (as lame as it will be) » | Week 3 » | Heading Home » | First Week At Disney » | Good Bye, Kansas City! » | Countdown to Leaving » 

Sunday, May 06, 2007 

Stop the Screaming!

Ok, I'm about 6 months late with this post, but having a two year old means you don't see a lot of movies. Tonight, I watched Dreamgirls, while eating Oreos and doing laundry (yes, I'm just about 2 steps from being a woman).

I had heard so much about Jennifer Hudson's performance, plus Beyonce and Eddie Murphy, so I was looking forward to seeing it. After about 2/3 of the movie was over, I truly became sick and tired of having every song screamed in pitch.

When did screaming replace singing? Sure, when appropriate, a mournful loud scream/sing can be effective. But, when did it become necessary for every single lyric to be sung at the top of your lungs, and the end of each note trilled for about 5 minutes. Truthfully, what happened to the days when a quiet voice, full of emotion, could convey so much.

It seems everytime some girl is on American Idol, they decide that to show off their abilities, they have to sing louder, higher, and add more pitches to a single note than the person before.

I guess it really started getting bad with Whitney Houston. But honestly, by the end of Dreamgirls, I had a headache. I went to my MP3 player, and put on sone Frank Sinatra, just to listen to someone who could sing with emotion no matter how loud or soft he was.

Let's see here...

You can blame Whitney, but I think it all started before her. I don't think it really got bad until the whole "divas" thing took over. I wish these singers would remember that often less is more.

Well said.

Post a Comment